Sunday, January 20, 2013

SCD Cherry Thumbprint Cookies

Hello! My name is Hannah. I've been cooking SCD-compliant food for my husband, Alex, for about four years. I've relied on lots of other recipes and blogs during that time and have decided to finally start my own. It will probably be an even mix of recipe reviews and original recipes.

To get started, here's a half-review, half-not review:

SCD Cherry Thumbprint Cookies

This recipe is very closely based on PB and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies from Digestive Wellness. The major change is that we're using almond butter instead of peanut butter. Alex is putting peanut butter on his banana bread for breakfast and eating it with baby carrots at dinner, everyday. He felt he should cut back a little and we had a jar of almond butter handy, so I used that instead. I also have deviated from the recipe directions a little bit and will write down here what I did.

For the cherry jam, I used this jam that I bought from DigestiveWellness.com. I can't praise that website/store enough. Try the granola. Whenever I buy it for my husband I end up eating a substantial portion of it.

Ingredients:

1/3 cup coconut oil (1/3 cup of peanut oil or 6 tablespoons of butter would also work)
1 cup almond butter
1/2 cup honey
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/4 tsp salt
cherry jam (Digestive Wellness recommends 1/2 cup, but I did not measure.)

Yield: For me, it was 40 cookies. Next time, I will half this recipe because it's a lot of cookie.

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 325F.
2. Mix coconut oil, almond butter, and honey until smooth. Then, add the vanilla and eggs and mix again until smooth.
3. Mix the almond flour with baking soda and salt.
4. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir until smooth.
5. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
It will be somewhat thick and sticky after it's been refrigerated.

Thicker and stickier than cake batter. 

6. Line a cookie tray with parchment paper (aluminum foil will do in a pinch) and put spoonfuls of cookie dough onto the tray.

These are actually just a little too close together. Put yours a little farther apart.


7. Using a spoon (and probably with the help of your finger) add jelly into the middle of each cookie. How much is up to you!

8. Bake at 325 for 20 minutes. 
9. Voila!
See, they were a little too close together. 

They came out nicely. I've made these with peanut butter before and I don't think there is a giant difference between the two recipes. The jelly gives the cookies a nice tartness that they really need. Alex frequently laments how baked goods made with almond flour 'taste like almonds' and the jelly definitely helps remedy that aspect of the cookies.  He ate three of these when they came out of the oven.

Nutritional Info:
Serving Size = 1 Cookie
Calories: 108
Fat: 8g
Saturated Fat: 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
Cholesterol: 9mg
Sodium: 21mg
Potassium: 54mg
Carbs: 8g
Fiber: 1g
Sugar: 6.5g
Protein: 2g

Tomorrow, I'm going to experiment and make some black bean papaya salsa that will ultimately be part of a romaine-tortilla-SCD-taco-night. Soaking the beans now! See you then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment